The Peer 2 Peer Resource network is a free community forum where you can meet other rare disease patients and families, search for information and educational tools and find support online or at our regular meet ups in towns across Canada.
Challenges Facing the Patient Community
- Health care and social support services are designed for patients with common diseases
- Lack of a diagnosis can result in patients and families being denied necessary services in
hospitals, schools and the community
- Patients with rare and undiagnosed disorders require coordination of multiple specialists
- Limited research into rare disorders provides limited hope
- Due to the small market size, there are limited drug discovery initiatives by
pharmaceutical companies when therapeutic targets are known
- Supportive organizations specific to each rare disease often do not exist, and those that do
exist have geographically widespread membership that cannot provide advice on local
The parent group initially started by the Rare Disease Foundation back in 2008 found that when
a group of parents sat around the same table, a similar diagnosis was not the binding factor but
rather their shared experiences.
This initial parent group has now become a Parent 2 Parent Resource Network that has expanded
from its initial beginnings in Vancouver to include Resource Networks across Canada.
The groups host round table discussions and guest speakers, many of which are webcast to the
online community. The website has a library of past webcasts plus online forums and shared
resources. As our online and offline community grows, locally, nationally and internationally,
patients and families will develop a stronger voice as a community of rare disease advocates.
Parent 2 Parent Resource Networks are currently running in:
- Calgary (On hiatus. Looking for a parent leader)
- St. John’s
Adult Peer to Peer Resource Network currently running in:
- Regina (First Adult Peer to Peer Resource Network!)
We are developing Resource Networks right now in:
- Montreal (Looking for parent leader)
- Halifax (Looking for parent leader)
Are you interested in starting a Peer 2 Peer Resource Network? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for further information. The more Resource Networks we have the greater the network of support available for patients and families. We provide you with guidelines, personal support, a manual for getting started and more, wherever you are in the world!
For additional resources click here to access our searchable wiki, a database of services and resources created by our members.